5/09/2002

The Web Age's First New Music Genre appears to have arrived. The style is refered to in this NYT article as "Mash-ups", combining songs to create a new work without including any original recording. For example, the lyrics from one song might be layered on top of the instrumental from a song of a completely different style. The resulting work can sound like a mishmash, or can sound like a completely new work of its own.

I'm intrigued. The Base58 website is dedicated to tracking these new bootleg recordings, some of which are legal and some of which are not. I haven't heard any exampes yet, but I imagine a trip to KaZaa or AudioGalaxy might provide one with a good cross-section.
[UPDATE: Okay, I've listened to a few I was able to find on the above website. So far I'm not that impressed with what I've heard. For songs where I am familiar with the originals, I like the originals better. That's not to say I don't like any remixes (I like Steppenwolf's "Magic Carpet Ride" but I really like the Crystal Method remix better) and I think there is potential here. But I haven't seen it reached yet.]