4/24/2003

Thinking of Getting Netflix? - Then you should know that the more DVDs you rent and return quickly, the slower they will start sending them to you. Mike directed me to this SlashDot thread about Netflix's allocation system.

This stinks for me. I watch movies constantly, and even had the 5 disk plan briefly before calming back down and realizing that was too many. I'll get a Netflix DVD in the mail and send it right back the next day (witness Carnival of Souls) in order to maximize my DVD throughput. But it ain't happening.

Whereas before I could return DVDs and get a new DVD in 4 days or so, now it's about 6 days, which slows things down considerably.

Worse than that, I can't get the DVDs I want. I've been waiting forever for the first disk of The Sopranos Season 2 and it's still listed as "Very Long Wait." I despair of ever seeing that Space: 1999 DVD.

Keep this in mind if you're considering Netflix. There are other companies popping up which offer the same service. I'm seriously considering at least giving another service a try.

Update: Here's one of their competing services "GreenCine".

Update: Maybe I'm being too hard on Netflix. I still get quite a few films, and I have enjoyed their service for the most part. But I am doing a trial of GreenCine. There's a good chance I won't stick with it.