5/11/2003

Weapons of Mass Disinformation - Even in my skepticism regarding the war, I thought they'd find more in the way of active chemical weapons programs, or useable chemical weapons by now. But, apparently, the U.S. Arms Team is leaving Iraq empty-handed. (washingtonpost.com)

There were constant complaints from hawks during the months leading up to war regarding how Saddam worked to hamper and undermine the search for a nuclear or chemical weapons program with the power to cause mass destruction and death on large scales. However, now that Saddam is in no position to obstruct anything, the search for WMDs has been less like a floodgate of evidence and more like that joke in Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer where Yukon Cornelius keeps thinking he's found gold in the snow, until he sniffs and licks the end of his ice pick-axe and declared "nothing."

Maybe I didn't understand. Is our intelligence that bad that we really didn't know whether Saddam had WMDs, or was that a convenient tale to tell the American public because the truth was less convenient.

If we're going to go to war, I want the public debate to be about the real reasons. I don't need to be protected from them. I'm not sure if I'd rather believe I was lied to, or that we are flying blind.

Colin Powell? Are you listening? Where did your credibility go? Why are you along for the ride?