6/06/2003

Friday Five - This week's Friday Five is kinda sappy.

1. How many times have you truly been in love?

Three times. Once romantic and twice fatherly. Having children is being in love, because suddenly there is this person who makes a huge difference in your life and you would do anything for that person. The romantic love of my life is my wife, and I can honestly say that she's the only woman I've ever truly been in love with. And as sappy as it sounds, I am more than ever today.

2. What was/is so great about the person you love(d) the most?

About Maggie? Her creativity, her ideas, and her support make me love her more than ever. But, in addition to that, she's level-headed. I never expect to find her bringing home books by new-age self-help gurus or pseudo-scientific garbage. And that not only makes her a desirable companion, but a great mother (because one of the last things I want is for my kids to grow up without the ability to think critically)

3. What qualities should a significant other have?

Well, I went into that a little bit above, but I'll elaborate here with a list.
  • Only a little bit insane. Not embarrassed to be a little weird, but not completely in another world.
  • Must have similar ideas regarding finances. In the long term, money problems cause friction in so many relationships. But no matter how much money you have, if the two of you have a similar philosophy, you'll weather it.
  • Sense of adventure
  • The ability to spend Sunday in the house, in front of a window, with books
  • Will encourage you to be more than you are. Someone who is satisfied with who you are is only going to hold you back. I'm not talking about someone who will pester you to be a better driver or something like that. I'm talking about someone who sees the undeveloped qualities in you and pushes you to make them into something. Someone who knows you well enough that they can tell it would make you happy to pursue and develop certain of your aptitudes.
4. Have you ever broken someone's heart?

I doubt it. If so, I have no idea.

5. If there was one thing you could teach people about love, what would it be?

For my girls: A guy who is nice to you but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person.